Poisoning isn’t something that many owners necessarily think about. Nevertheless, it is a leading cause of visits to veterinary clinics in Murrayville, GA each year.
Unfortunately, your pet may not realize that something might be harmful to him. Instead, his natural curiosity means that he is far more likely to sniff, taste or eat something that is potentially toxic than reject it. As his owner, it is up to you to try and keep him safe from harmful substances and react quickly and correctly if you think that he may have been poisoned.
What sort of things can be harmful or toxic to my pets?
Unfortunately, it would be impossible for us to give you a definitive list of every single known toxin that could pose a risk to the health and wellbeing of your precious pet. There are a phenomenal number of potentially harmful substances, and exactly how severely they will affect your pet will depend on a number of different things including his size, how much he comes into contact with and what particular toxin it is.
Nevertheless, it is possible for us to provide information on some of the most common toxins that could be harmful to your pet. These can be broken down into categories.
Whether you want to share food with your pet, or you simply leave it somewhere where your pet can get to it, there are a number of edible products that could be toxic to your pet. These include:
- Candies, gum and anything else containing the sugar substitute known as Xylitol
- Onions and garlic
- Anything containing alcohol
- Drinks or candy containing caffeine
- Grapes and raisins
- Milk and dairy
- Macademia nuts
- Undercooked/raw meat
- Fruits containing pits and seeds, such as plums, peaches and cherries
- Uncooked dough
Toxic household substances
There are many things that you may have lurking around your home and yard that could pose a threat to your pet’s health, including:
- Human medications
- Cleaning products including oven cleaners, drain cleaners and toilet cleaners
- Pool chemicals
- Rat and mouse poisons
- Paint thinners and varnish
- Cosmetics and perfumes
Household and garden plants
That may look pretty, but not all plants are necessarily pet-friendly. Some which you may want to reconsider having in or around your home include:
- Sago palms
Symptoms of pet poisoning
Animals don’t like to show signs of weakness and this includes when they are feeling unwell. Nevertheless, it is important to know the symptoms of pet poisoning so that you can act quickly if you do suspect your pet may have consumed something harmful. The most common signs to look out for include:
- Loss of appetite
- Blood in his bowel movements
- Fast heartbeat
- Rapid panting
- Inability to urinate
If your pet has any of these symptoms, it is essential that you contact us and get your pet checked out as soon as possible.
What should I do if I think my pet has been exposed to something toxic or harmful?
Any responsible owner will do everything that they can to prevent their pet from being exposed to toxic substances. However, it is impossible to watch your pet for every minute of the day and knowing what to do if you think he has been poisoned is crucial if he is to make a full recovery.
Identify what you think has poisoned him
If you can, identify what you think has caused you pet to become sick and how exactly he came into contact with it. For example, did he eat something, or simply lick it. Did he roll in a toxic substance or inhale it? This will help your vet in Murrayville, GA to determine how severely your pet might be affected by the toxin. If there is any packaging with the toxin, make sure you take this with you to your vet appointment at Murrayville Veterinary Clinic.
Call your veterinarian or Emergency vet in Murrayville, GA
You should never try and deal with poisoning yourself. Many owners mistakenly believe that making your pet vomit will reverse the problem. However, you should never try and induce vomiting without the permission and guidance of your vet. Don’t wait until there are obvious symptoms either. If you suspect poisoning, seek veterinary advice immediately by calling 678-392-3700. Your veterinarian will be able to tell you how you should proceed. If your pet has ingested something, you may be asked to bring him in to the clinic as quickly as possible. However, if your pet has rolled in the toxin, or it has only come into contact with his skin, bathing him may be the first thing you are advised to do. Follow the guidance given to you by your professional exactly as described.